This blog is dedicated to the memory of David Weintraub, who took on insidious astroturfers and won.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Howard Zinn: A People's History of the United States

I think one of the main things that links progressives is their awareness of the past. Remember the George Santayana quote, "Those who don't learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them?"

I believe that the U.S. history textbooks used by our school systems are fairly worthless. We all can probably remember one good teacher who got through to us what it means to be a critical thinker. My favourite one was from 10th grade. She used to ask us, "Why do they call it history? Why not herstory?"

Here are the first few entries from Mr. Zinn's book pertaining to the twentieth century. It's read by Matt Damon after an introduction by the author. To continue listening, here is the rest.

Then I will embed my favourite Grateful Dead tune of all time, the one I listen to whenever I feel down. If you're lucky, I just might add in a Bob Marley tune or two. :)


A People's History (The 20th Century) - Howard Zinn [1/53]



A People's History (The 20th Century) - Howard Zinn [2/53]



A People's History (The 20th Century) - Howard Zinn [3/53]


*******

If you're ever feeling blue, just listen to this one. It works for me every time.

Grateful Dead - Box Of Rain -


If that didn't cheer you up, this one will.

BOB MARLEY - THREE LITTLE BIRDS


Or for the rebels-

posted by oOmunirOo
©Tuff Gong/Island Records (Universal)

Bob Marley and The Wailers - Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)

No comments: